Posts Tagged italian
- Powdered Glucose biscuits or butter cookies-10
For the Base: (you can use a 5 ounce packet of pound cake or 20 ladyfingers)
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup diet sugar
- 1/2 cup low fat butter
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 5 tbsp low fat milk
- 1/2 tsp soda-bi-carbonate
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the coffee mixture:
- 2-1/2 tsps gelatin in 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1/3 cup diet sugar
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsps instant coffee powder
For the Cheese mixture:
- 1 8-ounce low fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp diet sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 tbsp gelatin in 3 tbsp cold water
- Beat butter, sugar and yoghurt till light and fluffy.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa, soda-bi-carb and milk to form a smooth batter.
- Pour into a greased tin and microwave at 160 for 7-8 mins.
- beat egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Reduce the milk to half its content.
- Add the instant coffee powder, vanilla. Bring to a simmer
- (Discard the vanilla bean)
- Pour 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Return all to the saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and just bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in gelatin mixture.
- Set aside to cool
- mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, and the cooled gelatin mixture.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup apple juice.
- Line a bowl with plastic cling film. Line 1/4 inch pieces of the base.
- Pour half of the coffee mixture over this.
- Add a thin layer of finely powdered glucose biscuits followed by the cheese mixture.
- Another layer of the biscuit powder and then the remaining coffee mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator till set or overnight.
- Note: I’ve tried to reduce the calorie intake….hence the long winded recipe….to get the original recipe go to betterrecipes.com
9:30 A.M. Another typical day in the Indian summer. I’m in the kitchen making tiramisu from scratch.
10:00 A.M The pound cake for the base is ready and I’m lazily stirring the coffee mixture over the stove. My dogs sticks his head into the kitchen and gives me his poor little puppy look. I’m a sucker for that. I give him a blob of butter and bodily deposit him outside the door.
10:30 P.M. Made cream cheese. Making tiramisu is starting to look like a Herculanean task. Still I persevere even when I’m starting to think I should have made something simpler…foresight is a real pain!!!
11:00 A.M Finally the cheese mixture is also ready and I’m assembling the Tiramisu (finally!) to strains of ‘What have you done to my kitchen’ my mum in the background.
Dad puts in his bit of wisdom “there’s no way you are going to lose weight!”
I ignore them both and put the finished tiramisu into the fridge to set
4:30 P.M. Time for dad’s evening tea. I plop down two bowls of tiramisu (for mum and dad)They eye it warily as if I’ve served them a ticking time bomb. Honestly!!!
6:00 P.M. I’m reading Da Vinci code for the umpteenth time on the sofa….my parents??? They are scraping the last few pieces of their second helping of Tiramisu…Smug smile!!!