Posts Tagged yum
Now traditionally we make gulab jamuns out of a packet or using flour.
This is the invention of a bored mother and daughter who had no idea how to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon.
What you need:
Milk-50 ml (just an estimate-to make the dough)
Salt -a pinch
Oil for deep frying
Cardamom powder- 1-2 tsp
Rose essence-a few drops
Sugar-1 cup + 1 tbsp
Water- 2 cups
What do you do:
Dissolve sugar in the water . Add cardamom powder and boil till it reaches a syrupy consistency. Add the essence and take off the fire.
Make a dough with bread, milk, salt and 1 tbsp sugar. Make little balls and deep fry them in oil till brown and crisp. Drop them while hot into the sugar syrup. Serve hot or cold
- Powdered Glucose biscuits or butter cookies-10
For the Base: (you can use a 5 ounce packet of pound cake or 20 ladyfingers)
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup diet sugar
- 1/2 cup low fat butter
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 5 tbsp low fat milk
- 1/2 tsp soda-bi-carbonate
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the coffee mixture:
- 2-1/2 tsps gelatin in 1/3 cup cold water
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1/3 cup diet sugar
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsps instant coffee powder
For the Cheese mixture:
- 1 8-ounce low fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp diet sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 tbsp gelatin in 3 tbsp cold water
- Beat butter, sugar and yoghurt till light and fluffy.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa, soda-bi-carb and milk to form a smooth batter.
- Pour into a greased tin and microwave at 160 for 7-8 mins.
- beat egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Reduce the milk to half its content.
- Add the instant coffee powder, vanilla. Bring to a simmer
- (Discard the vanilla bean)
- Pour 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Return all to the saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and just bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in gelatin mixture.
- Set aside to cool
- mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, and the cooled gelatin mixture.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup apple juice.
- Line a bowl with plastic cling film. Line 1/4 inch pieces of the base.
- Pour half of the coffee mixture over this.
- Add a thin layer of finely powdered glucose biscuits followed by the cheese mixture.
- Another layer of the biscuit powder and then the remaining coffee mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator till set or overnight.
- Note: I’ve tried to reduce the calorie intake….hence the long winded recipe….to get the original recipe go to betterrecipes.com